TOMINTOUL / GLENLIVET AREA
Tomintoul [Tom-an-towel] is at a height of 350m / 1165ft and is reputed to be the highest village in the Highlands. Tomintoul from the gaelic Tom-an t-sabhail meaning mound of the barn or barn knoll. The village is situated between two rivers; the Avon [A’an] to the west and the Conglass to the east. The A939 runs through and is on the line of the old military road built following the Jacobote rebellion of 1745. It also sits at a junction of several old cattle droving trails that run through the surrounding hills. The village was founded in the 18th Century by Alexander, 4th Duke of Gordon.
Photo Gallery - Click HERE
Throughout its history Tomintoul has been a stopping off place for travellers, this is reflected in the range of accommodation and services available. The village has a very strong fishing tradition and the area is noted for the quality of its Whisky!
Tomintoul is placed within the Cairngorms National Park and within the Glenlivet Estate. The estate covers over 58,000 acres at the north east edge of the Cairngorms. The estate was acquired by the Crown in 1937.
COPYRIGHT TOMINTOUL & GLENLIVET WALKING/ CYCLING FESTIVAL © 2013 - WEBSITE DESIGN WWW.SMILEDESIGN.CO.UK